Multidisciplinary artist, poet, and dance film curator born in Williamsport, Pennsylvania in 1980. Sarah lives and works in Madison, WI.
- Master of Arts in Humanities Program, X 03, University of Chicago.
- BA, 2002, Gallatin School of Individualized Study, New York University, magna cum laude, Albert Gallatin Scholar.
- Continuing Education: Hyde Park Art Center, Goat Island Performance Group, Morganville, Sprung Physical Theater, Redmoon Theater, Lillstreet Arts Center.
- High school, 1997, Pennsylvania Governor’s School for the Arts.
EXHIBITIONS & EVENTS
- 20×2 Chicago: Where Are We? (Event). Presented at Schuba’s Tavern, Chicago, IL in April 2014.
- Dances Made to Order. (Film Series). Online at http://www.dancesmadetoorder.com/ in May 2013
- How to Say Goodbye. (Photography series / instructions for audience participation). At Links Hall, Chicago, IL, March 30, 2013.
- Filmmobile Film Series (Film Screening). Co-Presented by Echo Park Film Center and Dances Made to Order, Los Angeles, CA, September 7, 2012. Co-curated with Kingsley Irons and Cari-Ann Shim Sham.
- Chicago Dancing Festival: MOVIES (Film Screening). Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, IL, August 21 2012, 12noon-8pm.
- Dance Films Kino. (Artist Residency). At Hyde Park Art Center, co-presented by Hyde Park Art Center and Links Hall, Chicago, IL, March 4-25, 2012.
- Creatives at Work Forum: Curating Across Disciplines. (Panel Discussion). At Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL, October 20, 2012.
- Chicago Dancing Festival: Movies (Film Discussion). Chicago Cultural Center, August 26, 2011.
- Dance Films Kino: The Short Films of Lucy Cash. (Film Screening and Discussion). Hyde Park Art Center, February 22, 2011.
- Artifice // Artifact (Photography, Group Show.) Cobalt Art Studio, Chicago, IL, January 2011. Collaboration with Ira S. Murfin.
- Dance for the Camera (Film Festival). Chicago Cultural Center, October 2012; October 13-15, 2010; October 13-14, 2009; October 28 & 30, 2008; October 24-25, 2007. From 2007-10, co-curated with Jan Bartoszek.
- Sarah Best: Daily Photos. (Photography, Solo Show.) Antena Gallery, Chicago, IL, February 19 – March 20, 2010.
- Links Hall 30th Anniversary. (Film Screening). Chicago, IL, October 3, 2009.
- “Coney Island (small banner)”. (Embroidery). 2009, commission for Achy Obejas.
- “What would you take with you on an expedition?” (Installation / Instructions for audience participation.) The Science of Obscurity, a Poetry Foundation Printers Ball event at Jupiter Outpost, Chicago, IL, July 10, 2009. Collaboration with David Emanuel.
- The Lastmaker, (Writing.) Chicago, IL, 2007. Contributed writing to an early version of Goat Island’s final performance, and to The Last Performance, a text-visualization project created by Judd Morrissey.
- “Simultaneous Landscapes” (Installation /Performance), Version<06 (arts festival), Chicago, IL, 2006. Collaborated with Irene Hodes, Ira S. Murfin, Brianne Waychoff and David Emanuel. Invited visitors to interact in various prescribed and improvised ways with elements of real and imaginary landscapes.
- Dancing in the Park (Curated Site-Specific Dance Performances in Millennium Park); Link Up (Remounted Production of Performances by Links Hall’s LinkUp Artists); AbonDANZA! International Dance Festival (Curated Dance Performances); and About Dance (Dance Discussion Series). Contributing Curator, Department of Cultural Affairs (DCA) Dance Program, Chicago Cultural Center, 2006-10.
AWARDS & RESIDENCIES
- Artist in Residence, Hyde Park Art Center, Spring 2012.
- Fiscal Sponsorship, Links Hall, 2011-12.
- Chicago Seminar on Dance and Performance grant, 2008.
- Community Arts Assistance Program (CAAP) grant, Department of Cultural Affairs, 2006.
- Herbet K. Rubin Creative Writing Award, New York University, 2002.
- Sarah Best Curates Chicago Dancing Festival Movies Program, Shari Schmidt, Chicago Now, August 2012.
- Screen Dances Marries Film and Dance, Christy LeMaster, 848, WBEZ 91.5 FM (Audio)
- Moving Pictures, Ruthie Kott, University of Chicago Magazine, May-June 2012.
- Sarah Best Interview, Zachary Whittenburg, Time Out Chicago, February 27, 2012.
- “Et si on faisait une reading cure?” Marie-Odile Briet, L’Express (France), April 4, 2011.
- Last Minute Plans: Man With a Movie Camera, Chuck Sudo, Chicagoist, March 2011.
- “Pondering the Universe at Antena Gallery.” Review. Carrie McGath, Chicago Art Magazine.
- “Pocket Pix: Chicago Area Photogs use iPhone camera, applications for art.” Hermine Bloom, Columbia Chronicle.
- “In an Instant.” Emily Reimer, University of Chicago Magazine.
- “Top 5 Weekend Picks“. Stephanie Burke, Bad at Sports.
- “Cell Phone Photography is SO 2010.” Kelly Reaves, Gapers Block A/C.
- "Tinder", The Yale Review, January 2017.
- Dance Films Kino: Making My Own Path, Sarah Best, Chicago Artist Resource, 2012.
- Photos from the Daily Photos series are featured on the websites of Chicago Public Radio, Chicago Reader, Chicago Art Magazine, Columbia Chronicle, Bad at Sports, Gapers Block, and Chicagoist, 2009-10.
- Dance Journalism, Time Out Chicago, 2006-2008.
- Try Less Hard. A zine ( artist’s book) created in collaboration with David Emanuel, 2006.